1.5.U1 Cells can only be formed by division of preexisting cells.
- Discuss two implications of all cells being formed from preexisting cells.
1.5.U2 The first cells must have arisen from non-living material.
- Outline the four processes needed for the spontaneous origin of cells on Earth.
- Outline the experiments of Miller and Urey into the origin of organic compounds.
- Define polymerization, monomer and polymer.
- Outline two properties of RNA that would have allowed it to play a role in the origin of life.
1.5.U3 The origin of eukaryotic cells can be explained by the endosymbiotic theory.
- State the endosymbiosis theory.
- Outline the major events in the origin of eukaryotic cells.
- Describe the evidence for the endosymbiotic theory.
1.5.A1 Evidence from Pastuer’s experiments that spontaneous generation of cells and organisms does not now occur on Earth.
- Define spontaneous generation.
- Describe Pasteur’s experiments about spontaneous generation.
- Explain why Pasteur’s experiments did not support the idea of spontaneous generation.
1.5.NOS Testing the general principles that underline the natural world- the principles that cells only come from pre-existing cells needs to be verified.
- Explain historical thinking about spontaneous generation (what did people think and why did they think it?).
- Define conformity bias and give an example of conformity bias in the historical study of life.
- Outline the experiments of Redi and Spallanzani.
- List reasons why biologists now universally accept that cells only come from preexisting cells.
IN THE NEWS
Cell Theory (unit 1)
- Coming soon
Prokaryotic Cells (unit 3)
- The origin of life: labyrinths as crucibles of life (2015-01-27)
- Ancient rocks show life could have flourished on Earth 3.2 billion years ago (2015-02-16)
- Researchers may have solved origin-of-life conundrum (2015-03-16)
- Origin-of-life puzzle cracked (2015-03-19)
- Building blocks for 'RNA world' made from simple ingredients (2016-05-12)
- Scientists take big step toward recreating primordial 'RNA world' of 4 billion years ago (2016-08-15)
- World’s Oldest Fossils Found in Greenland (2016-08-31)
- Protein-like structures from the primordial soup (2016-09-12)
- On the origin of life: Studying how the first biomolecule self-replicated (2016-11-02)
- Oldest evidence of life on land found in 3.48 billion-year-old Australian rocks (2017-05-09)
- Chemists may be zeroing in on chemical reactions that sparked the first life (2017-05-19)
Eukaryotic Cells (unit 4)
- "Just a Theory": 7 misused science words (2013-04-02)
- 'Solar-powered' sea slugs can survive in the dark (2013-11-20)
- Missing link microbes may help explain how single cells became us (2015-05-06)
- On the origin of eukaryotes: When cells got complex (2016-02-03)