The goal of the supplemental reading assignment is for students to read a biology based popular press book. The supplemental reading assignment is one way to address the Common Core Standards for reading within an advanced biology curriculum.
One supplemental reading book must be read per semester as a required assignment in the classroom category of the grade book. The assignment is worth 100 class work points (which usually turns out to be about 2% of the overall grade, but this can vary). Students may read one additional supplemental reading book per semester as "above and beyond" points. However, students may only submit one supplemental reading per quarter. For example, if a student wanted to read two books (one required and one above and beyond), he/she would turn in one supplemental reading assignment in first quarter and another in second quarter.
www.turnitin.com password is Biology
Here's how to do it:
- Choose a book. Some are easy, some are hard. All are great! Be sure to select a book eligible the appropriate class and the appropriate semester
- Acquire the book (libraries have multiple copies of these books or you can get copies of some of them from the classroom collection). If purchasing the book, use this link to Amazon and order the books direct (by doing so, our classroom benefits by earning Amazon cash back used to purchase more books for the classroom collection).
- Read the book, love it, and answer the questions linked next to each book. Submit answers to www.turnitin.com by the end of the semester.
- In addition to the questions specific to each book, students must complete the supplemental reading verification form (pdf). Once completed and signed, this is the only form that needs to be printed and submitted to your teacher.
- If you bought a book and want nothing more to do with it, then PLEASE donate your book to the classroom collection!