Following Forest Owls (2022)
Here are some highlights of the trip:
- Captured a Whiskered Screech Owl.
- Learned how to recognize different owl species by their call.
- Experienced the frustration of multiple near-misses, with owls bouncing off, flying under and flying through our mist nets.
- Learned how to identify many tree species.
- Got really good at finding cavities in trees.
- Worked with scientists on proper protocol for collecting data.
- Observed wildlife such as the horned lizard in their natural habitats.
- Hiked to a rocky outcropping that had marine fossils.
- Ate amazing food.
- Stayed in an isolated research station and met other visiting scientists.
- Painted a favorite scene with water colors.
- Daily reflections about our experience in Arizona.